Tuesday, June 20, 2006




Among my collection of favorite books is one entitled, Writer's Houses, by Francesca Premoli-Droulers. It's a large book that features pictures of the homes of several writers, some I've read and or heard of and some who are new to me. She features writers from Europe, South America and North America. In her introduction, Francesca says, "This book is about the varied dwellings in which some of the greatest writers of the last one hundred years, lived, created and suffered, where they acquired perhaps a taste for solitude and certainly an urge to write. These are the private domains they loved, the secret places where they found fullfilment."

It features the innner sanctums of Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen), Vita Sackville-West, Dylan Thomas, Virginia Woolf. Twain, Yeats, Hemmingway, among others. What I love about this book is how intentional each of the rooms is, but also how imperfect. It looks like someone has had a life there...sometimes complex, messy, uneven, but also orderly, seasonal, rhythmic.

In contrast, the rooms in home magazines and on television shows look impressive, but ultimately, they are too perfect for me. I can't find myself in them. Within the walls of these writers' houses, I feel more at home. There are lumpy old chairs and bookshelves crammed with books. Potted plants, only half alive but tenaciously surviving, cluttered writing tables, windows with views as grand as the ocean or as simple as a cottage garden. Invariably, somewhere in the house, each writer had some special spot, be it a whole room or merely a secret corner, where he or she experienced enough peace and quiet to write.

I am rarely alone in my house. But I can find solitude enough to write in it. Or maybe it is more accurate to say I have composed enough solitude to write in it, because as Margaret Duras wrote, "One does not find solitude, one creates it."

3 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

BoingBoing.net posted a link to a pretty cool bibliopagy page: http://www.lisavollrath.com/pages/201

Unfortunately it mentions "scrapbooking" and apparently she used scrapbook pages, but it still looks pretty nice.

Ever since I moved to San Diego I've been itching to do more bookbinding. I asked my mom to send me most of my supplies but it's taking forever. I should have just packed it all and dealt with an overstuffed car on the way out.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Lulu Westbrook said...

Hi Jo-
I know this will shock you, but I finally got a creative writing blog up and running. It has no real direction or focus, but I'm getting there. Man, you weren't lying when you told me it was hard to keep writing without the pressure writing in class. Anyway, how's the sabbatical treating you? Hope all is well,
Lindsay

9:35 AM  
Blogger redballjets said...

Hey Hannah! Thanks for the link...I'll check it out. When did you move to San Deigo? Have you found any good paper arts or book binding stores there?

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home