Sunday, August 21, 2005


A few years ago, when I was visiting Dublin, Ireland, I came across a tribute to Oscar Wilde. Wilde is one of Ireland's favorite satirists in a country where a taste for the ironic is developed early in life. In the corner of a large urban public garden, a life sized statue of Wilde rested on a grassy hillside; Wilde was sprawled on the grass, propped up by his elbows, gazing sardonically at those who passed by. At his feet was a circular walkway paved in polished granite, and at its center was a polished granite pillar. The granite on both the pillar and walkway had been engraved with famous sayings by the writer. One for instance: "We are all of us lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." The quotations were handwritten by different people, so each quote looked like graffiti someone had scrawled in passing. My son Matt picked one out as his favorite, so I took a picture of it. I think it describes how we experience Life pretty well: "This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last."