Monday, August 08, 2005


Hummingbirds have taken over my small garden. They fight with the wrens and the finches. They dive bomb the crows. They fight with each other over flowers and the hummingbird feeder which I've filled with red sugar water. One morning I sat drinking coffee on the back porch and one flew up directly in front of me and hovered there for several seconds. I was wearing a red night shirt, and I'm sure he thought I had potential as a source of sustenance, but after a few moments consideration, he thought better of it and veered off. Another morning the same hummingbird, or one exactly like him, flew up to the window of my sunroom and peered in, then flew to a pot of petunias, the chair, a watering can. I got the feeling he was staking a claim over each of them. "Mine. Mine. Mine, mine, mine." They take over everything. And how can one argue with them? Before a person (or creature) can protest, they're already gone.

0 Comments:

<< Home